Ms. Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Executive Chairperson, Biocon Limited, is a pioneering biotech entrepreneur, a healthcare visionary, a global influencer, and a passionate philanthropist. The impact she has made as a leading woman in science has made her a role model in India. She is committed to equity in healthcare through access and affordability as she pursues a path of making a difference to billions of lives globally.
She has scripted a hugely successful entrepreneurial story by building Biocon, an innovation-led global biopharmaceuticals enterprise, which has made outstanding contributions to life sciences and research drawing global respect for India.
Ms Mazumdar-Shaw has received several coveted awards, honours and titles, both national and international, in recognition of her inspiring achievements.
- Padma Bhushan (2005)
- Padma Shri (1989)
Key International Recognitions:
- Winner of EY World Entrepreneur of the Year™ 2020 Award
- Order of Australia, Australia's Highest Civilian Honour (2020)
- Chevalier de l’Ordre National de la Legion d’Honneur (Knight of the National Order of the French Legion of Honour), France's Highest Civilian Award (2016)
- AWSM Award for Excellence, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, U.S. (2017)
- Othmer Gold Medal, Chemical Heritage Foundation, U.S. (2014)
- Global Economy Prize for Business, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, Germany (2014)
- Member, National Academy of Engineering (NAE), U.S.
- Full-term Member MIT Corporation, the board of trustees of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.
- Member, Board of Directors, U.S.-India Business Council (USIBC)
- Global Alumni Ambassador by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australia
- First Business Ambassador to South Asia, for the State of Victoria, Australia.
- First and only Self-Made Woman Billionaire from India; Ranked No. 22 by Forbes on world list (2017)
- TIME magazine's 100 Most Influential People in the World (2010)
- World’s 100 Most Powerful Women; Ranked No. 65 by Forbes (2019)
- The Medicine Maker Power List has ranked her as one of the world’s top 20 inspirational leaders in the field of biopharmaceuticals (2020)
- Fierce Biotech's list of World's 25 Most Influential People in Biopharma (2012)
- Infosys Ltd: A global leader in technology services & consulting www.infosys.com
- Narayana Health: A large hospital chain recognized for providing affordable access to world class healthcare. www.narayanahealth.org
- Second business leader from India to sign the Giving Pledge, an initiative of the Gates Foundation, committing to give the majority of her wealth to philanthropic causes.
In addition to her formal qualifications as a brewmaster, Ms Mazumdar-Shaw holds honorary degrees from several renowned international universities.